12.04.2014

You're Doing Just Fine

In today's society there are so many different paths to take when it comes to choosing how to parent. You have breastfeeders to bottle feeders, vaccers and anti-vaccers, non organic and organic, attachment parenting to traditional parenting .... the list can go on forever. When you really think about it the pressure is on, at least for me. I think 'am I really doing the right thing' on a daily basis.
I see articles daily on why vaccines are harming your kids and I wonder 'should I have chose not to vaccinate?'
I have a lazy day and feed my kids Spaghetti-os out of a can instead of cooking a healthy meal, 'did I just take a year off of their life?'
I raised my voice, 'did I cause years of unforseen emotional damage?'
Something occurs to me daily and reminds me that the choices I have made will effect my child's life for as long as they live.
When you really think about it. It's stressful.
You see other moms (or dads) and you question yourself or wonder why you can't be more like them. You become your own worst critic and you look into those little eyes and wonder if you're giving them your best.
Take a deep breath.
I'm here to tell you that you are doing just fine.
There are no rights or wrongs in parenting. You do what you feel is best for you child(ren) and that's really all that matters. You can research statistics and read about other parents experiences until your eyes bleed but nothing will be better for your children than what your gut tells you is right.
Don't feel the need to compete for the sake of keeping up with the Jones'. Don't follow the trends just because that's what everyone is doing. Don't feel bad when you don't always give 100% of your effort to your kids. They have a parent who loves them and that's truly all that they need.
Don't worry about it if every now and then you treat them with a happy meal instead of a wholesome dinner. Don't criticize yourself for losing your shit in front of your kids when you have had all you can take.
You are the best parent you can be, regardless of how you choose to do it and that's something you should be proud of.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment