6.04.2014

Banana Bread made with Coconut Oil!



I buy bananas and rarely do I run out. In other words I usually buy bananas just to watch them ripen, and rot. I really need to start forcing my family to eat their fruit! Until then, my overly ripe bananas get put to good use making this amazing recipe and this time I used a little twist and substituted oil and butter with coconut oil!!!

Banana Bread

with coconut oil 


Preheat your oven to 325*
Makes 2 large loaves

Dry Ingredients
3 cups flour 
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon (I use a little extra)
1/2 tsp ground ginger powder
1/2 tsp salt

Whisk together and set aside!


Mash 3 to 4 ripe or previously frozen bananas. 
I prefer ripe bananas to frozen, brown, slimy ones. ;)
For a little more moisture since I am using just ripe bananas I like to add some form of 100% juice to my mashed bananas. In this case the pink tint to the bananas comes from Tropicana Farmstand Strawberry Banana juice. You can use this or skip it. It is a personal preference.
If you chose to use it, 1/4 cup is all you need!
Set the bananas aside and start working on your wet mixture.

Wet Ingredients

1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter 
(Substitute Coconut Oil at 1:1 ratio, in other words use the same amount)
3 eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil
(Substitute Coconut Oil at 1:1 ratio, in other words use the same amount)


First mix together your sugars and the 1/4 cup of coconut oil until it is well mixed
add 1 egg at a time
once all of your eggs are incorporated into the sugar mixture you can add your pure vanilla and the 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
Mix all together and you're ready for the next step!
**(you can either melt your coconut oil or leave it as a soft solid, I don't recommend using really firm coconut oil, it mixes better if it is soft or in a liquid state)**

add your bananas to the wet mixture and stir or use your electric mixer on slow speed


once you have mixed the wet ingredients together you can add the dry mixture
stir together with a spoon until it is well mixed. 


generously oil your pans with coconut oil or you can use cooking spray
I prefer to stick with coconut oil for this recipe



evenly distribute your batter into your oiled pans

bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour at 325*
insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf to check if it is done, if the toothpick comes out clean then the bread is done!


There you have it! Two perfectly delicious loaves of banana bread!
Enjoy!
-N





No comments:

Post a Comment